Saturday, March 26, 2011

Walking around Wagga - Part 2

Here are a few interesting observations/experiences from my walks around town.

Crossing the Street

Even on streets that do not have pedestrian “Walk/Don’t Walk” lights, I felt safe crossing as long as I was at the pedestrian crosswalk. I noticed that vehicles would slow down and stop at the crosswalk even when the pedestrian was still some distance away. They waited for you to cross! At one instance, I signaled the driver to go ahead since I was still only approaching; she seemed shocked at my suggestion and signaled back for me to cross first! How I wish the drivers back home afforded pedestrians the same courtesy.  


The Diagonal Cross

On Baylis St one can cross the street diagonally! They have synchronized the stop lights so that you did not have to do an L-cross but could go right through the street intersection; makes sense!


The Roundabout

A roundabout is a circular junction wherein vehicles must travel in one direction around a central island. In Australia where people drive on the left, the traffic flow around the central island is clockwise. The general rule is to give the right of way to vehicles on your right. It was interesting to watch the cars moving in harmony with each other. Again, it made me think of the drivers back home (sigh!).

No comments:

Post a Comment